The UK’s government has abandoned plans to delay elections for 30 councils in England. This is the latest setback for Sir Keir Starmer, following advice that the move could be against the law.
Previously, many English councils opted to delay their elections so that they could prioritize a broader restructuring of local government.
This U-turn was announced on Monday, 16 February, by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG), and it came after Reform UK launched legal action last month.
Following legal advice, the government has withdrawn its original decision to postpone 30 local elections in May ’26, said MHCLG. Providing certainty to councils about their local elections has now become the most crucial thing. So, all local elections will now move ahead during May ’26.
Reform UK leader Nigel Farage said that he was delighted about Starmer’s U-turn. He went on to suggest that local government secretary Steve Reed should step down.
Farage confirmed that the government would cover Reform’s legal expenditure for the challenge, which may cost a total of around USD 136,000 (£100,000).
The U-turn comes amidst Starmer’s premiership, which has been teetering lately. This follows a backlash over revelations relating to the relationship between the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and Lord Peter Mandelson. Starmer, in his capacity as the premier, had appointed Mandelson as the UK’s ambassador to the U.S.
Reform UK is preparing both the Labour and the Conservative parties for significant losses. Nationwide opinion polls amongst many other parties, which include the Greens, reflect Reform UK leading towards the intended local elections on 7 May.
MHCLG had invited 63 councils with a proposal to delay their polls. This was with the intention of prioritizing a broader restructuring of local government. 26 borough, district, and unitary local authorities, besides 4 county councils across England, had agreed to this initial proposal of the postponement.




