Gunmen on motorcycles carried out a dawn attack on three villages in northwestern Nigeria, killing many people and spreading fear and destruction. The violence took place in Niger State, where armed men shot residents, burned homes, and seized an unknown number of people during the raids.
According to the officials, many villagers escaped by running into forests or fleeing to surrounding towns. Because of this, officials do not yet know how many people were kidnapped. Authorities confirmed that at least 29 people were killed by Saturday but warned the number could increase as searches continue. According to local officials, the attackers first struck the village of Tunga-Makeri early in the morning.
They later moved on to the villages of Konkoso and Pissa. The police reported that one incident claimed the lives of six people, while the other two villages saw the deaths of about 20 others. A security report quoted by AFP said the attackers arrived on more than 40 motorcycles. Residents say fear has taken over daily life. Abdullahi Rofia, who lives in the neighboring town of Agwara, said many displaced families are now staying there. Two weeks ago, an attack also targeted his community. He said people are too traumatized to go to farms or markets, and daily activities have stopped.
The attacks happened close to the area where more than 100 people were killed earlier this month in a similar ambush. Armed criminal groups, often called bandits, have carried out killings and kidnappings in Nigeria for years, mainly in the northwest. However, reports of such attacks have increased in other parts of the country recently. In response, authorities introduced emergency measures, including limits on late-night gatherings and a partial curfew that bans motorcycle taxis after 8pm. Security forces have been deployed, rescue operations are underway, and national leaders face pressure to restore safety nationwide.





