Why Is Trump Cutting US Military Drills with South Korea?

- Advertisement -

President Donald Trump says the United States plans to reduce joint military exercises with South Korea. He linked the decision to his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea’s refusal to support US military action against Iran.

Trump said the exercises are expensive and send a hostile message to North Korea. He also argued that South Korea should contribute more to US security efforts. Around 28,500 US troops are currently stationed in South Korea.

South Korea said it was reviewing Trump’s comments. It also said it hoped better relations between Washington and Pyongyang could eventually lead to talks. However, Seoul had earlier confirmed that the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises would continue as planned.

The 11-day drills involve about 18,000 South Korean troops. US and South Korean military officials say the exercises are important for preparing their forces for possible threats from North Korea.

North Korea has strongly criticized the drills. Its foreign ministry described them as preparations for an aggressive war. Pyongyang has also recently carried out ballistic missile tests, despite international restrictions.

Some experts have warned that reducing the exercises could weaken the US-South Korea alliance. Leif-Eric Easley, a professor at Ewha University in Seoul, said smaller drills could reduce military readiness and make it harder for both countries to work together during a crisis. He also questioned whether reducing the exercises would bring meaningful benefits from North Korea.

Trump has taken a similar approach before. In 2018, during talks with Kim, he suspended major US-South Korea military exercises. He called them provocative and said stopping them would save money. The drills were also reduced during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Trump’s latest decision comes as South Korea seeks closer dialogue with North Korea. President Lee Jae Myung recently suggested talks aimed at formally ending the Korean War, which technically remains unresolved because the 1953 agreement was only an armistice.

For South Korea, Trump’s announcement creates both hope and concern. Improved US-North Korea relations could pave the way for negotiations. At the same time, Seoul is worried about possible changes to the US military presence and its long-standing security partnership with Washington.

Trump has repeatedly argued that South Korea should do more to support the United States. This disagreement continues to create tension between the two important allies.

Hot this week

Which Diet Is Best During Menopause? New Study Has Answers

A new study looked at 11 different diets. It...

India Celebrates 39-Medal Commonwealth Games Campaign in Glasgow

India ended its campaign at fourth in the overall...

Climate Change Is Pushing Butterflies to New Places, Study Finds

A new study led by Monash University shows something...

Is Global Shipping Entering Another Boom Cycle After Maersk Raises 2026 Earnings Forecast?

Danish shipping group Maersk (MAERSKB.CO) on Thursday, 13 August...

Inside Ronaldo and Georgina’s secret vows: Meet the five elite guests in the wedding!

Mumbai (Commonwealthunion.com)_ Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez have finally...
- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -sitaramatravels.comsitaramatravels.com

Popular Categories