Ambassador kicked out of Consulate in London

- Advertisement -

LONDON (CU)_ Myanmar’s armed forces have initiated a widespread crackdown against pro-democracy demonstrators in the country who oppose the military coup, with General Hlaing saying the protestors are attempting to destroy the country.

According to rights groups about 600 civilians have been killed since the military takeover on 1 February. So far most Western nations, including the United Kingdom, the United States and Germany have denounced the coup and imposed sanctions against military officials.

Myanmar’s Ambassador in London says he has been kicked out of the consulate building by a Tatmadaw representative in the UK who said he was no longer the envoy of the Southeast Asian nation.

Describing the incident as a “coup in the middle of London”, Ambassador Kyaw Zwar Minn said on Wednesday (7 April) that the country’s military attaché asked him and the other embassy staff to leave the building and were locked out of the premises.

“They are refusing to let me inside. They said they received instruction from the capital, so they are not going to let me in,” he said.

“This a coup. This is the UK. We are not in Myanmar, in Burma. They are not able to do this. The British government won’t allow this one, you’ll see that.”

Zwar Minn previously met with British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab to discuss the state of affairs in Myanmar following which he was praised by the Foreign Secretary for his “courage and patriotism in standing up for what’s right”.

He also issued a statement demanding the release the country’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi who, along with several other members of the ruling National League for Democracy party, were arrested by the Tatmadaw, as army general Min Aung Hlaing became the de facto leader. However, Myanmar’s state TV said he was called back home for releasing the unauthorised statement.

Meanwhile, protests have erupted in front of the embassy London against Myanmar’s ruling junta, as demonstrators denounced the military’s seizure of the building. The British Foreign Office said it is aware of the circumstances and is seeking further information regarding the matter. 

Hot this week

The Maldives presidential race 2028 heats up as Abdulla Shahid steps in: Can his MDP bid change the 2028 race?

Maldives (Commonwealth Union)_ Abdulla Shahid’s decision to seek the...

The Knight’s Tale: When Two Knights Loved the Same Woman—and the Gods Took Sides

It’s not just a love triangle—Chaucer’s The Knight’s Tale...

Could Andy Burnham rewire the ‘treasury brain’ to boost growth?

The PM intends to reduce the department's stranglehold on...

When the Fuel Lifeline Is at Risk: Fiji and Tonga Race to Secure New Pacific Supply Routes

SUVA, August 21, 2026 – Fuel security has emerged...

India’s Airports Are No Longer Just for Flying—They’re Becoming Shopping Destinations

NEW DELHI, India, August 21, 2026 — What passengers...
- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -sitaramatravels.comsitaramatravels.com

Popular Categories